Thursday, June 11, 2009

I Just Couldn't Do It

I bought the hat, I bought the shirt, I bought the tickets. I went on the tour, I went to the game. I ate a hotdog. I couldn't do it.
I can't cheer for them, I can't cheer for the
Sox. I thought I would be able to. "Root, Root, Root for the Hometeam" we are told. But we also know that Home Is Where the Heart Is and while I love the city of Boston, the Sox can never have my heart. My heart is in Shea, my heart is in the Coliseum, my heart can even be in 27 other places, but it can't ever be in Fenway. I tried, and I failed. And it confused everyone around me.
Here I am, wearing my wonderful
Sox batting helmet ($1 at GoodWill) cheering for Nick Swisher's amazing catch. On my feet for back-to-back Damon and Posada homeruns, cheering for the ump for a great call, less than one pitch later yelling at him for a horrible one. No one knew what to do with me. I got funny looks, but no mean comments, I was one of them in looks, but not in heart... never in heart.
Yes, there were great moments of fun (this is baseball we are talking about). Here are the top (and only) 3 reasons to be a
Red Sox fan:
1 - Neil Diamond
2 - a whole stadium chanting A-Roid
3 -
Papelbon.... man oh man was that cool!
So
Boston is just crying out for some better pitching. The Yankees have nearly caught up and they need something. Tito walks up to the mound and all of the sudden... Boom-Boom, Boom-Boom, Boom-Boom. The whole stadium is on their feet freaking out and this incredible killer music is playing. Its like Gallic with the most incredible base. All of the sudden Papel runs out onto the field from the bull pin and everyone is singing this absolutly crazy stuff - "I'm Shipping Up to Boston oh, wey, oh". I was pumped up and I'm not even a Sox fan. But that song, that moment, that was baseball and I loved it!

2 comments:

Kim and Julie said...

Cat, So glad to hear you have'nt become a "Sox" fan. We had a similar experience attending the BYU vs Utah game with Uncle Karl. I thought I could behave myself but found myself furious with the fans around me. Looking forward to coming to see you and Scott in August. It was SO great to see you both last weekend. Congrats on the new job. Julie

*Laura* said...

I'm so glad you're a Yankees fan! So I know you said your heart could be in 27 other places but not Fenway. Are the other two places they can't be Milwaukee and Houston? haha.