Who would have ever put me up for a math tutor… well I am and I like to think I’m pretty good (despite the fact I have to call my brothers every night as I prepare for the next day because I have no idea what is going on!). I also get to tutor grammar and I’m teaching English! MATCH Charter High School is just a block down from our apartment and in June Scott convinced me to walk in and see if I could help out at all. Well, they hired me as a Summer School teacher in July and I am having so much fun. The kids come from the inner-city and all have incredible plans of graduating from a 4 year university. I can hardly believe it when I hear them talk about it. Take DeShaun – “Well, I wanted to play professional basketball, but now I guess I’ll just have to go to college and get a good job instead” and he is serious about it. And he’s really good at basketball too, but he decided to transfer to MATCH, a school with no sports teams, to get a better education and go to college. These students are all banking on scholarships so they work as hard as humanly possible to get academic scholarships to schools like Yale, Dartmouth, NYU, BU, BC, etc. It is so impressing. I could go on forever about it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment